marvin70

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 11 Beiträge
  • Ich besitze:WeTab Wifi 16GB
  • Betriebssystem:Windows 7

Geschrieben 28 September 2011 - 20:48 Uhr

This is a "how to" about how to start and/or install android 3.2 or another version on your WeTab , if you have exopc BIOS . Without that BIOS , you can't boot from SD Card !

1 First you have to download and decompress the file android.zip : http://uploading.com...md/android.zip/
It contains the image file for a 2GB SD card (you must use 2GB micro SD card with adapter , or bigger SD Card) .

2 After that use the win32diskimager-win32 to write the image file on the SD card .

3 Restart and choose the option to boot from “multi card reader”. If nothing happens, just turn of the pc (Power button) and start it up again.

notes:
installed android3.2 contains all patches from xyzzy (thanks xyzzy) , 512 MB fake SD Card , a few games , maxton tablet edition for web browser , ireader1.3.1 for e-books , repligo reader for PDF files .

After "flashing" the SD Card with that image , the SD Card will have a linux ext3 file system . You can edit the files and folders with any linux distro , if you have windows , Install the program Ext2Fsd – with it you can view and manage files on Linux partitions, if it has an EXT2/EXT3 file system.

If you don't like android3.2 and want another android version - sparta or gingerbread , then follow next :
-the SD Card with android3.2 contains folders - <android-2011-08-28> <boot> <grub> <initrd> <lost+found> and the file <null> , in the folder <boot> has another copy of folder <grub> .
-You must delete the folders : <android-2011-08-28> , <grub> .Delete <grub> too in folder <boot> .Nothing else !
-download android- image from android x86 : http://www.android-x86.org/
-Make a bootable USB stick with the desired Android version with unetbootin.
-Restart the computer and boot from the USB stick.
-Choose from Settings “Installation” with followinig adjustments: - on the SD card - - - without formatting - - - install GRUB - - - read-write It is desirable to make a fake SD (up to 1GB) after the installation.
-After that reboot in Windows or in linux and copy (don't cut or remove!!!) the folder <GRUB> in the folder <Boot>
( for sparta image its the same , but use another computer for installing, NOT the WeTab !).

If you want to restore your SD Card , then use HP Tools for formating .

links :

android x86: http://www.android-x86.org/

Ext2Fsd project : http://www.ext2fsd.com/

unetbootin : http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

win32image: https://launchpad.ne...32-image-writer

SD Card img: http://uploading.com...md/android.zip/

#2 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge
  • Ich besitze:-
  • Betriebssystem:-

Geschrieben 30 September 2011 - 09:26 Uhr

Thanks for your post and I would like to try this out.

But I am unable to write the image to an SD Card..Win32diskimager always shows message "Not enough space on disk", even with a 32GB SD card..

I have formatted and reformatted three cards, one 2gb, one 8gb and another 32 gb, all with same result. Any thoughts?

#3 marvin70

marvin70

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 11 Beiträge

Geschrieben 30 September 2011 - 19:02 Uhr

This look like an error of Win32imager - maybe it doesn't work properly with SD cards.
But for solving this problem, do this:
- use Win32imager to write an image of android.img on an USB stick (2 GB) - this works fine.
- test-boot from the USB stick, if everything is correct, then reboot in windows
- use the program imageusb to make an image on your USB stick - choose a .bin format for the image.
- use the program imageusb again to write on the new image (.bin), which is on your SD card.
- after that reboot from the SD card

Or wait until I give a link for the correct image, that you can download.

Angehängte Dateien

#4 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 07:14 Uhr

Many thanks for your suggestions..

The image works great from USB after writing the image from w32diskimager.. Just a couple of errors during intial boot up screen but android works really well..

However, the program imgusb, does not see the USB drive once it has been written so I cannot create a bin backup to process further.

I will do a redo backup of the usb drive and write it on my sd card and see if it works that way.

#5 marvin70

marvin70

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 11 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 09:51 Uhr

First install Ext2fsd . After installing it, from <tools> <service manegement> - click (start) and (Apply) ; see screenshot-4
After that you can see , and manage the ext2/3 partitions in windows explorer ;screenshot-5; , and work with imageusb ; see screenshot-6

Angehängte Dateien

#6 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 13:42 Uhr

Thanks for your comprehensive post..I do have the driver installed. I have described my problem incorrectly in my previous post, so apologies for wasting your time. Just come off night shift, so not thinking straight.I have created the bin file from USB.

My real problem is that imgusb does not see my SD Card to write the image to as shown below:

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

Mind you, I am doing this on my Toshiba laptop.

#7 pmaler

pmaler

neugieriger Programmierer

• Members
  • PIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIP
  • 4.140 Beiträge
  • LocationMoorenweis westl. von Fürstenfeldbruck
  • Ich besitze:WeTab 3G 32GB & 2GB RAM
  • Betriebssystem:WeTab OS & Windows 7
  • Modifikationen:Win8, neues BIOS

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 15:00 Uhr

In Explorer, try to make a rightclick on drive S
Then look for "use it as a ... I dont know the correct name in english

Something like "use it as a portable device"

Then try it again

If it does not work, format it completly new
Viele Fragen wollen gar nicht beantwortet, sondern nur durchschaut werden.
Noch Fragen übrig? Dann versuche mal, die Antwort in meinem Wiki zu finden.
  Besucht mal meine WETAB FAQ-Seite

#8 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 16:15 Uhr

Thanks all for your help. I tried that and it does not work either.. I did a little test drive with the image on the USB drive itself and it's too buggy and too slow to be of any real use anyway.

But love the touchscreen experience in android and hoping someone will come up with a custom build for Wetab.

I am also going to try this:

http://exocommunity....hp?f=108&t=5825

I know the original instructions came from this forum, but they are in German. So the link may help those who have windows and speak only english.

#9 pmaler

pmaler

• Members
  • 4.140 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 16:38 Uhr

Cool . The Link to my server is now in a Forum from exopc :-)
The www.pherzog.net is my server

Normaly it is not the problem writing in english. OK. Its a long time ago, that I continuously spoke or wrote english, so maybe there are some funny "languagebugs" in my writing.
But it takes time.
have a look at my server www.pherzog.net. 99% is german, because ... its my mother tongue. And of course the first is, to write it in german.

If there is a community which wants to have it in english too, so I will activate the last 2% of my brain... :-)
I really dont know if it is necessary to make an english version for the website...

If there is just one person... With a little help from google translator and very much patience with the translation it should be possible to read the quitnessence of the meaning.

in the future we will activate our Wiki more and more http://www.wetab-wiki.com and it should be every article translated... Should be !!!

#10 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 16:44 Uhr

I have used your webpage a lot of times (with gtranslate) and I know that pherzog.net is your website..:)

I am prepared to help you make a English version of your website, if you want me to, as I think it is really useful. At least it was very useful for me.

#11 otti

otti

Neuling ;-)

• 3.428 Beiträge
  • LocationNiederrhein

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 17:26 Uhr

Phantomal is looking for some native english speaker to join the wiki-team. Perhaps you would like to contact him.

#12 pmaler

pmaler

• Members
  • 4.140 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 17:35 Uhr

I have used your webpage a lot of times (with gtranslate) and I know that pherzog.net is your website.. :)

I am prepared to help you make a English version of your website, if you want me to, as I think it is really useful. At least it was very useful for me.

When the wetab-community wiki is ready to be filled, I want to copy all from my wiki to the wetab-community - wiki
Just like a backup. We have done this with the files too. So linuxmirror.pherzog.de ist just a mirror os phantomals root-file-server.

send me your emailadress via PN here.
I could give you access to my wiki and then you could decide by yourselfe what is useful to translate

#13 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 18:49 Uhr

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

PN sent. I have some experience with PHP-MySQL websites but I am a bit of a noob with wiki's.

So please bear with me if I pester you for help/clarifications.

#14 pmaler

pmaler

• Members
  • 4.140 Beiträge

Geschrieben 01 Oktober 2011 - 19:26 Uhr

You have got mail.
wiki is easy. And the helppages are in english :-)

#15 marvin70

marvin70

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 11 Beiträge

Geschrieben 03 Oktober 2011 - 10:00 Uhr

My real problem is that imgusb does not see my SD Card to write the image to as shown below:

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

Mind you, I am doing this on my Toshiba laptop.

Try again with another card reader , connected in USB slot .

#16 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge

Geschrieben 03 Oktober 2011 - 10:32 Uhr

Thanks Marvin 70..I haven't got another card reader..Like I said before, I tried Android from the USB itself and it's very buggy and very slow too.

I have installed the image and I am using EASY BCD to boot the image from the hard drive as per one of my previous posts.

It's still buggy but at least the errors come quicker..Thanks again for all your help.

#17 Fraggle

Fraggle

Power User

• Members
  • PIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIP
  • 1.033 Beiträge
  • Locationzw. Aachen und Köln
  • Ich besitze:WeTab 3G 32GB
  • Betriebssystem:WeTab OS
  • Modifikationen:Lucid-GE-133 Bios, Touch Firmware 1006h

Geschrieben 03 Oktober 2011 - 13:20 Uhr

Thanks a lot. Now I can try Android.
One question: How to close a running application?
"Ich bin nur dafür verantwortlich, was ich sage - nicht dafür, was du verstehst."
"Ich bin nicht Eurer Meinung, aber ich werde darum kämpfen, dass Ihr Euch ausdrücken könnt." (Voltaire)
"Werden Sie auf Ihre alten Tage paranoid?" - "Wann baute Noah die Arche? ... Vor der Sintflut" (Spy Game)
Google ist nicht mein Freund - ich hab echte Freunde.

Suchplugin FF Wetabforum für <= 3 Zeichen klick mich

#18 bs9117

bs9117

Mitglied

• Members
  • PIPPIP
  • 27 Beiträge

Geschrieben 03 Oktober 2011 - 17:08 Uhr

There is no need to close a running application in Android in the traditional windows sense. There is no big red X like windows.

Android only keeps a small memory of the last 6 programs and hardly uses any resources, like tradtional windows hibernating. There is an app called task killer if it really bothers you that much but you would normally only use that on a phone with very limited resources.

I wouldn't worry too much about it and just hit the home button and play around as Android manages resources extremely efficiently.

Just out of curiosity, did you manage to get Android on your SD Card or is it on your hard drive and are you using Easy BCD to boot to it?

#19 Fraggle

Fraggle

Power User

• Members
  • PIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIP
  • 1.033 Beiträge

Geschrieben 03 Oktober 2011 - 20:43 Uhr

Thx, if there are just last 6 apps in the memory it is ok. I was frightend that there will be more than 6.

I installed it on the SD card and use the lucid Bios to boot from sd. Somewhere in the forum I read that this will be slow, but in my case (perhaps sd-card is fast enough) I would say it is as fast as WetabOS or even faster.
"Ich bin nur dafür verantwortlich, was ich sage - nicht dafür, was du verstehst."
"Ich bin nicht Eurer Meinung, aber ich werde darum kämpfen, dass Ihr Euch ausdrücken könnt." (Voltaire)
"Werden Sie auf Ihre alten Tage paranoid?" - "Wann baute Noah die Arche? ... Vor der Sintflut" (Spy Game)

#20 Fraggle

Fraggle

Power User

• Members
  • PIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIP
  • 1.033 Beiträge

Geschrieben 06 Oktober 2011 - 09:17 Uhr

Does anybody can tell me how to mount sd usb sticks with this kind of Android installation?
Thanks for hints.

Besucher die dieses Thema lesen: 0

Mitglieder: 0, Gäste: 0, unsichtbare Mitglieder: 0